Academic Program Coordinator, Cybersecurity
School of Cybersecurity & Information Technology
Exempt, Regular, Full-Time, Pay Grade 1.3
Location: Largo, MD
University of Maryland Global Campus (UMGC) seeks an Academic Program Coordinator for the School of Cybersecurity & Information Technology.
The Academic Program Coordinator is the main point of contact for faculty, staff and students for daily administrative and policy issues regarding the academic program for their respective academic unit. The Academic Program Coordinator reports directly to the Department Chair and is assigned to support one or more Program Directors in a matrixed reporting structure.
The Academic Program Coordinator plays an important role in ensuring faculty quality and the consistency and quality of the student experience. The Coordinator works to engage faculty within their area(s) of the Department, ensuring that administrative and process efficiency is balanced with teaching excellence. The Coordinator uses technology tools and coaching strategies to optimize teaching effectiveness among faculty. For students, the Coordinator is an indispensable partner in removing obstacles and helping students progress through their programs.
The ideal candidate will be inspirational, energetic, technologically savvy, and a superb communicator, and will be able to employ a collaborative style with the highest ethical standards to engender an environment of trust and cultivate a community engaged in and committed to continuous quality improvement.
SPECIFIC RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE:
- Monitors the faculty’s classroom activities at regular intervals during each session, supporting the teaching faculty to consistently deliver the 3Rs (responsiveness, relationships, and relevancy).
- Monitors student issues in the classroom, resolving issues when needed and providing support.
- Collaborates with Department, Academic, and University colleagues as part of a large network committed to timely resolution of cases and issues, and identification of opportunities for business process re-engineering and efficiency in support of student success.
- Completes and works to optimize staffing for sections of program courses each academic term; makes ongoing changes, adding new sections and deleting sections as requested by the Program Director and University Faculty. .
- Independently determines and resolves schedule changes and adjustments for staffing in program courses each academic term.
- Assists the Program Directors in managing processes and logistics for faculty searches, hiring and promotion, including supporting search committees, collecting and processing relevant faculty paperwork, coordinating faculty promotions and contract renewals as requested. Liaise with Faculty Affairs, Human Resources, and other units to ensure appropriate and successful faculty onboarding, contract compliance, etc.
- Prepares and reviews class checks as needed to determine faculty and sections are prepared for the term.
- Interacts with other UMGC departments as needed to gather and disseminate information, especially as it relates to communicating and implementing curriculum changes and updates, supporting/informing institutional reporting, and monitoring faculty adherence to policies and deadlines (e.g. grade submission), among other areas.
- Maintains and updates department and program intranet presence and content.
- Maintains established databases and generates reports; creates ad hoc reports and makes recommendations to Program Director.
- Trains and supervises other Academic Program Coordinators as needed; provides leadership, coaching and mentoring to less experienced colleagues.
- May serve on academic or administrative committees.
- Performs other duties as assigned
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution of higher learning.
- At least one (1) year of experience in higher education administration or other demonstrably similar people management or service function.
- Advanced customer skills required to communicate with faculty, students and staff.
- Demonstrates the ability and aptitude to manage less experienced staff.
- Proficient with various software applications and ability to learn new tools quickly
- Ability to apply judgment to situations in order to escalate when necessary.
- Demonstrates initiative and proactively seeks to improve business processes and outcomes.
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced environment with ability to juggle multiple competing priorities.
- Highly collaborative.
- Committed to advancing a diverse and inclusive culture and environment within the program, department, school, and institution.
PREFERRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Master’s degree is preferred.
- Demonstrated interest in higher education, particularly for adult learners.
- Familiarity with higher education needs and the organizations.
- Ability to work with academic administrators in fostering and supporting faculty development and student issue resolution.
- Knowledge student success initiatives.
- Awareness of contemporary learning science and educational research, either through education or professional experience.
- The ability to establish and maintain a productive network of relationships with potential partners in academic affairs.
REVIEW OF APPLICATIONS WILL BEGIN IMMEDIATELY
POSITION WILL REMAIN OPEN UNTIL FILLED & SALARY IS COMMENSURATE WITH EXPERIENCE
All submissions should include a cover letter and résumé. UMGC offers competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits for qualifying positions, such as tuition remission, generous leave and healthcare. For detailed benefits information, please visit: https://careers.umuc.edu/benefits.html.
The University of Maryland Global Campus (UMGC) is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal and state laws regarding nondiscrimination. UMGC is committed to a policy of equal opportunity for all persons and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, disability, religion, ancestry, political affiliation or veteran status in employment, educational programs and activities, and admissions.
If you are an external candidate, you will have the option to create an account after you submit your application. Passwords for external accounts must contain 8 characters including 1 uppercase letter, 1 number, and 1 special character. Please remember this password, as it will be required to apply to additional jobs.