Accounting and Cyber-Accounting, Department of Finance and Accounting - Adjunct Faculty
- Job Ref:
- Adjunct Faculty
- Part time
School of Business
The Business School of the University of Maryland Global Campus (UMGC) seeks graduate adjunct faculty to teach in the MS in Accounting and Information Systems degree program. Specifically, we are looking for faculty to teach the following courses:
Accounting Information Systems (ACCT 618): A study of the use of information systems in the accounting process, with an emphasis on computer systems and internal controls. Focus is on the analytical tools necessary to evaluate users' accounting information needs and to design, implement, and maintain an accounting information system to support business processes and cycles. Topics include the components of contemporary accounting information systems; security and internal controls, particularly within Internet and e-commerce environments; traditional flow charts and data-flow diagrams; computer networks; theory and application of relational databases; and relational database management systems. Assignments include designing an accounting information system using a commercial database software package.
Auditing (ACCT 628): An in-depth examination of generally accepted auditing standards (GAAS), as well as standards for attestation and other services. Alternative audit models are evaluated for both their practical relevance and their theoretical justification as informed by current research and emerging information technology. The use of computer-assisted auditing techniques (CAAT) and other computer-related technology for obtaining evidence is evaluated in terms of its effectiveness and suitability in diverse audit environments. Methods of evaluating internal control are considered in light of the risks encountered in new ways of conducting business, such as e-commerce. Professional, ethical, and legal responsibilities, as shaped by the contemporary professional, legal, and regulatory environments, are examined as they relate to audit risk, risk assessment, and audit program planning. The use of audit reports and other services as tools to support management control and decision making are considered.
The ideal candidate is a scholar-practitioner currently working as an expert in accounting, information systems, and cyber-security.
Experience in the following fields:
- Accounting information systems
- Information technology
- Information systems
Required Education and Experience:
- A terminal degree from a regionally accredited institution
- One or more certifications from well-respected professional organizations (i.e. ISACA, ACFE, or IIA)
- A minimum of ten years of professional experience working as an accountant with expertise in accounting, accounting information systems, and risk management
- Active CPA License
- At least 5 years of experience teaching a diverse population of adult learners at the graduate level in a large university
- Online teaching experience
- Exceptional English grammar and writing skills, and
- Evenings and weekends available to teach online
Materials needed for submission
- Cover Letter
- Resume / Curriculum Vitae
- If selected, candidates with international degrees may be required to submit translation / degree evaluation from a NACES approved vendor
Who We Are and Who We Serve
UMGC - one of 11 degree-granting institutions in the University System of Maryland (USM) - is a mission-driven institution with seven core values that guide us in all we do. At the top of the list is "Students First," and we strive to do just that for our 90,000 students at home and abroad. From its start in 1947, UMGC has demonstrated its commitment to adult learners. We recognize that adult students need flexibility and options. UMGC is proud to be a global, 24-hour, institution of higher learning.
The typical UMGC student is an adult learner juggling a career, family, and other priorities. Roughly 80% work full time, half are parents, and half are minority students. They are continuing their education to better themselves, their families, and their professional opportunities. UMGC is also a leading higher education provider to the U.S. military, enrolling 55,000 active-duty service members, reservists, National Guard members, veterans, and family members annually. We are proud of our military heritage and are committed to this service.
The Adjunct Faculty Role at UMGC
UMGC is committed to helping students achieve success not only with us, but also in their professional fields. As a result, we actively seek faculty members who are scholar-practitioners: professionals who are actively and successfully engaged in their field who additionally wish to help the next generation of professionals grow in their knowledge and expertise through education. Your role as an adjunct faculty member will be to:
- Actively engage students through frequent interaction that motivates them to succeed and conveys a genuine energy and enthusiasm for their learning
- Guide students in active collaboration and the application of their learning in problem-and project-based learning demonstrations
- Provide rich and regular constructive feedback, utilizing rubrics effectively for the assessment of student work, and acknowledging student accomplishments
- Demonstrate relevant and current subject-matter expertise, and help students connect concepts across their academic program
- Provide feedback to your program chair on possible curricular improvements
The Business and Management program at UMGC
To learn more about this program, including its description, outcomes, and coursework, please visit: https://www.umgc.edu/academic-programs/business-and-management/
Faculty Training at UMGC
We are committed to your professional success at UMGC. Each new faculty member is required to successfully complete our online two-week new faculty orientation,
FacDev 411, as a condition of hire.
Position Available and will Remain Open Until Filled
Salary Commensurate with Experience
All submissions should include a cover letter and resume. UMGC offers competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits for qualifying positions, such as tuition remission, generous leave and healthcare. For detailed benefits information, please visit: https://careers.umgc.edu/benefits.html.