Assistant Director of Veterans Initiatives
Department of Stateside Military Operations
Exempt, Regular, 100% Full Time, Pay Grade 2.1
University of Maryland Global Campus seeks an Assistant Director of Veterans Initiatives in the Department of Stateside Military Operations. Reporting to the Director, Veterans Initiatives and Outreach, the Assistant Director will be responsible for carrying out specific projects and initiatives outlined in the veterans recruitment and retention strategy; collaborating with various departments within the university and the national veterans community to increase awareness and sensitivity to issues concerning veterans; creating an encouraging and supportive environment by acknowledging, honoring, and addressing veterans’ unique needs.
SPECIFIC RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE:
- Management of VIO Student worker and Community College Veterans Advising Specialist (CCVAS) staff, to include recruitment, scheduling, and periodic evaluations (25%)
- Carrying out initiatives that focus on new veteran student recruitment, support and retention in support of the overall UMGC growth strategy. (25%)
- Daily operation of the Vessey Veteran Resource Center (VRC) and all VIO office. (15%)
- Working with student veterans to facilitate a successful transition to civilian life. (15%)
- Developing and maintaining relationships with Veteran Service Organizations (VSOs) and other veterans’ organizations external to UMGC. (10%)
- Working with UMGC stakeholder departments to establish new programs that support student veterans. (5%)
- Perform other duties as assigned. (5%)
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s from an accredited institution of higher learning.
- Minimum of one year management/supervisory experience in an institution of higher learning or other similar venue required.
- Must possess strong organization skills, the ability to prioritize and manage multiple tasks, attention to detail and the ability to work in a team environment or independently.
- Demonstrated ability to advocate for military-affiliated students, manage multiple projects with various stake holders, think creatively, and generate student engagement.
- Knowledge and experience with Microsoft Office products (Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Access) and Outlook required.
- Public speaking and travel are required.
PREFERRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Preferred experience in veteran’s educational benefits.
- Preferred experience in advising at an institution of higher learning.
POSITION AVAILABLE IMMEDIATELY & WILL REMAIN OPEN UNTIL FILLED
SALARY COMMENSURATE WITH EXPERIENCE
All submissions should include a cover letter and résumé. UMGC offers competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits for qualifying positions, such as tuition remission, generous leave and healthcare. For detailed benefits information, please visit: https://careers.umuc.edu/benefits.html.
The University of Maryland Global Campus (UMGC) is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal and state laws regarding nondiscrimination. UMGC is committed to a policy of equal opportunity for all persons and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, disability, religion, ancestry, political affiliation or veteran status in employment, educational programs and activities, and admissions.
If you are an external candidate, you will have the option to create an account after you submit your application. Passwords for external accounts must contain 8 characters including 1 uppercase letter, 1 number, and 1 special character. Please remember this password, as it will be required to apply to additional jobs.