Assistant Vice President, Financial Aid
- Job Ref:
- Largo, MD
- Financial Aid
- Full time
Assistant Vice President, Financial Aid
Office of the Chief Financial Officer
Exempt, Regular, Full time
University of Maryland Global Campus (UMGC) seeks an Assistant Vice President, Financial Aid (AVP). Reporting to the Associate VP, Financial Aid, this AVP will provide leadership for the day-to-day operations of the financial aid office. This includes but is not limited to: the determination of student eligibility, including verification and resolution of conflicting information; assuring excellent Level II student service via phone, chat, email, and in-person communication; assists the Associate VP with special assignments; leads projects as requested; represents the financial aid office as an expert in Title IV regulations at cross-functional University and external meetings.
Additional responsibilities include:
- Represents the Associate VP when appropriate on University matters and decision-making
- Leads the determination of student eligibility and the accurate delivery of student financial aid
- Leads workload management and balance for the financial aid counseling staff, including all processing responsibilities (verification, C-code resolution, UEH, resolution of conflicting information) as well as Level II phone, chat, email as well as in-person student services in the Shared Services suite
- Ensures student satisfaction through the delivery of excellent student-focused service in all aspects of financial aid administration
- Develops a competent, productive, and effective staff who are well-trained and adhere to Federal, state, and institutional regulations governing the various types of financial aid
- Remains knowledgeable and current on all aspects of Title IV aid regulations; implementing and/or modifying office procedures to ensure compliance and assure strong audit results
- Oversees the appeals processes for Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) and Professional Judgement (PJ)
- With compliance staff, shares the responsibility for quality assurance practices and measures in all aspects of the financial aid counselor role, including phone and chat
- Serves as an innovative and strategic contributor to the leadership team in the financial aid office, including training, planning, assigning and directing work, appraising performance, addressing complaints, and resolving problems
- Works collaboratively with the Associate VP to lead the financial aid office in all institutional initiatives, professionally, and competently represent the financial aid in various meetings and projects and assure an overall well-functioning office across all areas of responsibility
- Other work-related duties as assigned
Required education & experience: An earned Bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited institution of higher learning; at least seven (7) years of progressively responsible experience within a financial aid office including at least five (5) years of supervisory experience managing managers and giving both general direction and direct and detailed direction to staff; strong working knowledge of Title IV regulations and programs; as well as strong technology skills and a commitment to student-focused service.
Preferred education & experience: An earned Master's degree from a regionally accredited institution of higher learning; background of work in high-volume, non-traditional, higher education environments; as well as excellent communication and organizational skills.
Must be able to meet and maintain access requirements for secure federal and/or state websites, such as the National Student Loan Data System (NSLDS). Individuals cannot currently be in default on a student loan.
All submissions should include a cover letter and résumé. UMGC offers competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits for qualifying positions, such as tuition remission, generous leave and healthcare. For detailed benefits information, please visit: https://careers.umuc.edu/benefits.html.