Associate VP & Deputy Director, Europe
- Job Ref:
- Kaiserslautern (Staff)-Germany
- Faculty Services
- Full time
Associate Vice President & Deputy Director, Europe
Office of Global Military Operations
Overseas Regular, Full-Time
University of Maryland Global Campus (UMGC) seeks an experienced, inspirational, servant leader as Associate Vice President & Deputy Director, Europe (AVP).
Seventy-five years ago UMGC pioneered new learning experiences for the nation in sending faculty members overseas to Europe to provide face-to-face learning experiences to servicemembers. UMGC Europe began operations in Germany in 1949 and currently has 55+ sites in 19 countries. In 1993, UMGC pioneered new online learning experiences to its students around the globe. Now, we seek a new AVP-level leader in Europe, the Middle East, and North Africa to support the design and then help to lead the next generation learning ecosystem for all of the populations we serve.
Based in Kaiserslautern, Germany, and with operations in North Africa and the Middle East, the AVP will report directly to the Vice President & Director, Europe (VP). They will represent the VP and the University in various capacities throughout the region. The AVP will partner closely with the VP as well as Stateside and Overseas colleagues to leverage data, learning science, and technologies to help lead the change mindset that drives innovation and executes next-level vision, thinking, and student learning experiences. As learners move around the globe, the AVP will support the VP in working with global leadership to ensure a seamless high-quality student experience.
With a bias for getting things done, the AVP will be laser-focused on every element of all UMGC learning experiences—face-to-face, hybrid, online—to support student success and persistence, focusing particularly on immediate awareness and real-time interventions for struggling students through driving more cohesive practices around the globe. The AVP will honor the tradition in Europe of an in-person classroom environment while building towards the increasing demand for more online and hybrid student experiences. A spirit of collegiality, camaraderie, and collaboration is also of significant importance in this role.
Travel an estimated 20%.
This AVP Europe, in partnership with and support of the VP Europe, will lead teams in creating exceptional learning experiences on all modalities for a global student population, and be accountable for the following operational scope of responsibility:
- Proposing proactive interventions based upon data and digital platforms to help students succeed and have a consistent UMGC experience wherever they are, as they travel and transfer, around the globe
- Leveraging best practices from our global communities of practice in recruiting, marketing, admissions, advising and academics and localizing the global resources to provide best-in-class service in all areas
- Leveraging decision-based data to identify and engage at-risk students in real time
- Supervising Europe HQ department heads, ensuring efficient operations, policy review/development, with responsibility for related process improvements
- Continuing to grow brand awareness and enrollment in Europe, Africa, and the Middle East
- Helping to create a working environment and team structure that further prioritizes exceptional learning experiences in the higher education space
- Supporting the creation, iterative development, delivery, and continuous improvement of tailored, workforce-relevant learning experiences and products (including prior learning assessment credits) that are accessible and deliver proven results
- Championing an agile, efficient, data-driven operation that responds swiftly to market trends and constantly seeks to evolve based on new opportunities and technologies
- Assisting with innovating and evolving in ways that “future-proofs” our learner experiences and student recruitment practices as much as possible against military events, natural disasters, and other global uncertainties
- Serving as a key liaison with Asia and Stateside colleagues
- Meeting with government and military leaders across sites as well as assessing our operations at various educational centers
- Inspiring and developing leaders and teams to exceed student expectations
- Reflecting and modeling the core values of UMGC
- Performing other job-related duties as assigned
Required education & experience: An earned Master's degree from an accredited institution of higher learning; ten years of both strategic and operational leadership experience; track record of continuously improving the student/customer experience across modalities; success leading a geographically dispersed workforce across multiple time zones; success as a servant leader (vs. a command and control style); track record of leveraging data and metrics to drive timely decision making; and the ability to pass a U.S. background check.
Preferred experience: Leading in the online higher education space with a track record of successfully supporting the implementation of next-level vision; emotional intelligence and professional maturity; an understanding of the military lifestyle/community and the ability to thrive as a leader within it; and a deep commitment to applying a diversity, equity, and inclusion lens to all people, processes, and initiatives. An officer rank in the U.S. Military is a plus but is not required.
POSITION WILL REMAIN OPEN UNTIL FILLED
Applicants must qualify for individual logistic support (ILS) as described in USAREUR Regulation 600-700, Section III, 7-13. Criteria under which applicants qualify for ILS are: Must serve the U.S. Forces exclusively; are not stateless persons; are nationals of a NATO state, excluding the host nation; and are not ordinarily a resident in the host nation. For consideration, submit a cover letter, résumé. Applicants with previous military experience should clearly state their rank (e.g., O-6 Colonel) in both the cover letter and résumé documents.
All submissions should include a cover letter and resume. UMGC offers competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits for qualifying positions, such as tuition remission, generous leave and healthcare. For detailed benefits information, please visit: https://careers.umgc.edu/benefits.html.
The University of Maryland Global Campus (UMGC) is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal and state laws regarding nondiscrimination. UMGC is committed to a policy of equal opportunity for all persons and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, disability, religion, ancestry, political affiliation or veteran status in employment, educational programs and activities, and admissions.
University of Maryland Global Campus (UMGC) is committed to helping safeguard the health of its faculty, staff, students, contractors, and guests. Because vaccinations reduce the spread of SARS-CoV-2-the virus that causes COVID-19-all prospective UMGC faculty (full-time and adjunct) and staff are strongly encouraged to be fully vaccinated and current with the recommended boosters. As always, operations at our military locations in Europe, Asia, and stateside will follow the guidance of the U.S. Department of Defense and local commands, and may require proof of full vaccination, unless an exception is approved as a reasonable accommodation based on disability or religion. If so, a copy of their Approved Exception Letter must be provided before the start of their employment. Failure to provide proof of vaccination or show proof of exception may result in the offer of employment being rescinded.