Benefits Administrator I
Office of Human Resources
Exempt, Regular, 100% Full-Time, Pay Grade 1.3
University of Maryland Global Campus (UMGC) seeks a Benefits Administrator I in the Office of Human Resources. Reporting to the Benefits Manager, the Benefits Administrator I is responsible for providing day-to-day administration of employee leaves and providing basic support for the administration of health and welfare plans and policies. The Benefits Administrator I develops effective communication, ensures outreach, and increases understanding of overall leave programs for stateside and overseas employees. This position will also be responsible improving existing program delivery, providing analytical and technical support, conducting gap analysis of existing processes, and seeking continuous improvement activities.
Occasional travel between local UMGC locations may be required.
SPECIFIC RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE:
- Manage leaves and applicable time-off to include monitoring usage, forecasting exhaustion of leave accruals, managing pay and benefits while an employee is on leave, and coordinating with Payroll and Employee Relations.
- Ensuring accuracy of Workday system leave administration and monitoring accordingly, to include placing employees on leave, auditing time-off usage, and collecting paperwork as necessary.
- Run reports as appropriate to proactively audit, manage and identify leave usage issues/concerns each payroll period.
- Actively communicate with and provide guidance to employees and their managers to ensure a smooth and understandable leave/time-off process.
- Partner with the Employee Relations and Payroll teams on processes to track and manage all leaves of absence and time-offs within Workday.
- Function as Workday leave administration subject matter expert and point of contact in supporting global Leave Partners in Europe and Asia on functional processes as needed while ensuring compliance with appropriate policies.
- Coordinate with Payroll on usage of different types of leave or time-off to ensure the appropriate payroll effect for various leave types (i.e., FML, Parental, Accident Leave, etc.) and understanding implications and impacts to payroll.
- Act as primary POC for the FML Administration outsourced vendor. Balance and reconcile FML time in Workday against vendor-reported FML and making adjustments as needed, partnering as appropriate with employee, manager, HR Business Partner, Payroll, and Employee Relations.
- Partner closely with HRIS on Workday configuration and implementation of changes, updates, etc., as they relate to Leave and Time-Off.
- Assist with processing of benefit elections, changes, and terminations as needed.
- Assist with New Hire Orientation preparation and Open Enrollment activities.
- Perform other job-related duties as assigned.
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited institution of higher learning
- One to three (1-3) years of experience, at least one (1) year of general human resources experience, preferably in benefits administration.
- Basic working knowledge of benefit plans.
- Basic working knowledge of pertinent federal and state regulations and compliance requirements (adopted and pending) of FMLA and Workers Compensation.
- Ability to accurately interpret a variety of procedures and policies with moderate supervision and guidance.
- Ability to effectively plan, set priorities, and manage details simultaneously while meeting strict deadlines.
- Ability to handle issues involving sensitivity, confidentiality and legal exposure and process confidential information with the utmost judgment and discretion.
- Demonstrated customer service orientation; ability to balance urgency and decisiveness with patience and compassion.
- Excellent communication and organization skills.
- Computer proficiency and technical aptitude with the ability to utilize MS Word, Excel, and PowerPoint required.
- Ability to coordinate query set-up and reporting needs with HRIS.
- Ability to work effectively with internal and external departments, vendors, state agencies, and insurance carriers.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively both within a team environment as well as independently.
- Genuine interest in people-oriented work; must display a positive and caring attitude. Demonstrated ability to interact effectively with employees of all levels.
PREFERRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Payroll or HRIS experience or exposure highly desirable.
- Experience with Workday is preferred.
- Advanced Excel skills to include charts, graphs, macros, pivot tables highly desirable.
POSITION AVAILABLE IMMEDIATELY & WILL REMAIN OPEN UNTIL FILLED
SALARY COMMENSURATE WITH EXPERIENCE
All submissions should include a cover letter and résumé. UMGC offers competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits for qualifying positions, such as tuition remission, generous leave and healthcare. For detailed benefits information, please visit: https://careers.umuc.edu/benefits.html.
The University of Maryland Global Campus (UMGC) is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal and state laws regarding nondiscrimination. UMGC is committed to a policy of equal opportunity for all persons and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, disability, religion, ancestry, political affiliation or veteran status in employment, educational programs and activities, and admissions.
If you are an external candidate, you will have the option to create an account after you submit your application. Passwords for external accounts must contain 8 characters including 1 uppercase letter, 1 number, and 1 special character. Please remember this password, as it will be required to apply to additional jobs.