Location: Kaiserslautern, Germany
Category: Overseas Regular, 100% FTE, Full-time, Grade 6
Description: The Chief Accountant reports to the Comptroller and is primarily responsible for overseeing transactions affecting the general ledger and Accounts Payable functions in compliance with all UMGC policies, guidelines and business processes applicable to duties assigned.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Communicate with employees (faculty and staff) and external vendors for smooth processing of employee spend authorizations, employee expense reports and vendor invoices in Workday;
- Provide oversight to the accountants and general ledger functions
- Supervise Accounts Payable staff and the daily functions assigned to them;
- Ensure invoices are processed in an accurate manner with less than 1% delay rate;
- Ensure the disbursements be made according to employees’ and vendors’ choice of payment method (ACH payment, USD check, Euro check or wire transfer);
- Reconcile the Accounts Payable General Ledger accounts;
- Maintain and secure Accounts Payable’s electronic and paper records;
- Conduct research and expense analysis when required by the Comptroller and other departments;
- Issue petty cash, control usage and replenishment of the petty cash funds and perform monthly petty cash reconciliations;
- Submit reportable and taxable employee reimbursements to Payroll monthly;
- Prepare and submit year-end reports on current insurance policies and long term asset rentals;
- Ensure improvements of Accounts Payable workflow processes and updates of Accounts Payable related guidelines and procedures;
- Other duties as assigned.
Minimum Education, Experience, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required:
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field from a regionally-accredited institution or equivalent
- 2 years of management experience
- 3-5 years of accounting or accounts payable experience
- Ability to work with sensitive and confidential information
- Good computer skills and excellent spreadsheet and database knowledge
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral
- Ability to work on variety of tasks with minimum supervision
- Ability to work in a fast paced environment with attention to detail, prioritize, multi task, and meet strict deadlines
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
- Master’s degree in a related field
- Fluent written and oral language skills of the host nation
- Over 3 years of management experience
- Over 5 years of accounting or accounts payable work experience
- Workday knowledge and experience
WHO MAY APPLY: Applicants with individual logistical support (ILS) preferred. Applicant must qualify for ILS as described in USAREUR Regulation 600-700, Section III, 7-13. Criteria under which applicants qualify for ILS are: must serve the U.S. Forces exclusively; are not stateless persons; are nationals of a NATO state, excluding the host nation; are not ordinarily resident in the host nation.
All submissions should include a cover letter and résumé. UMGC offers competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits for qualifying positions, such as tuition remission, generous leave and healthcare. For detailed benefits information, please visit: https://careers.umuc.edu/benefits.html.
The University of Maryland Global Campus (UMGC) is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal and state laws regarding nondiscrimination. UMGC is committed to a policy of equal opportunity for all persons and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, disability, religion, ancestry, political affiliation or veteran status in employment, educational programs and activities, and admissions.
If you are an external candidate, you will have the option to create an account after you submit your application. Passwords for external accounts must contain 8 characters including 1 uppercase letter, 1 number, and 1 special character. Please remember this password, as it will be required to apply to additional jobs.