Chief Marketing Officer and Senior Vice President, Admissions
- Job Ref:
- ICC - Adelphi, MD
- Advising and Enrollment
- Full time
Chief Marketing Officer & Senior Vice President, Admissions
Office of the President
Exempt, Regular, Full-time
University of Maryland Global Campus (UMGC) seeks an experienced, servant leader as Chief Marketing Officer (CMO) and Senior Vice President, Admissions. Reporting directly to the President, the CMO will be a member of the Executive Committee and a strategic thought leader with a bias for getting things done. With an eye for creating efficiencies, she/he/they will deliver a comprehensive, global marketing and admissions strategy in alignment with UMGC's overall strategic plan. This strategy will involve marketing to all of the various learner, corporate, military, and community partners UMGC serves around the globe. The CMO will be an influencer who easily builds trust and sets an example of enthusiasm and resilience. The CMO will be an expert in using market demand data and metrics to strategize and drive the right decisions at the right time. This executive will drive what the next generation of marketing will look like beyond commercials and digital advertising. She/he/they will establish a ubiquitous presence and reputation for high quality personalized learning experiences and exceptional student support as well as an obsession with visualizing every element of the inquiry, application, and enrollment process effectively to remove unnecessary obstacles and promote student progress.
Serving as the voice of the consumer, the CMO will be actively researching what our consumers want and bringing that evolving knowledge to the table as an equal partner with Admissions, Advising, and Academics. A spirit of collegiality, camaraderie, and collaboration is also of significant importance in this highly visible position created to drive innovative and sustainable results for one of the largest online state universities operating on a global stage.
Relocation to the MD/DC/Northern VA metro area is required.
Additional accountabilities include:
- Leading and developing a team of marketing experts with the digital marketing savvy to achieve sustainable growth with an enterprise-wide mindset
- Creating multi-channel marketing campaigns that include a diverse portfolio of storytelling through media and advertising sources, including but not limited to: web, mobile, print, TV, video, and social media
- Launching a market-leading global brand vision, thinking outside the box to build a brand presence, and understanding all of the elements that drive consumers to action and ways to seed a national landscape to fully-establish and maintain brand presence
- Acting as both architect and steward of the brand by reimagining how we tell our story and continuing to invite students to participate in the narratives
- Optimizing a sophisticated SEO strategy that improves competitiveness nationally and internationally
- Refining the student value proposition and go-to-market strategy
- Applying effective strategies to recruit and prepare students to start successfully and to support the retention of students with the goal of persisting through graduation and continuing in additional UMGC programs as life-long learners
- Streamlining processes that will engage prospective students from inquiry to application to first course registration through the add/drop period
- Improving lead generation, conversion, and prospecting; and call conversations through observations
- Adapting business strategy, resources, and tactics to anticipate and clearly set student expectations
- Leading a team that forecasts new enrollments through anticipated trends and data insights
- Leveraging and continuously developing a network of marketing and admissions professionals to serve as a sounding board and a source to energize and help inspire creativity and new ideas
- Serving as a steward to the budgeting process, ensuring that overall spend and ROI are used diligently
- Partnering across the organization with Global Military Operations, Academic Outreach and Corporate Alliances, the Registrar's Office, Student Finance, Student Accounts, Academic Affairs, and Student Affairs to provide a clear and consistent prospective student journey across devices that aligns with the active student journey
- Committing to the development of leaders across the CMO's entire organization in support of promoting from within
- Leading the sourcing and managing of external consultants, contractors, and vendors as needed
- Maintaining a culture of compliance within the state, federal, legal, and regulatory environment
- Performing other job-related duties as assigned by the President
Required education and experience: An earned master's degree from an accredited institution of higher learning; at least 10 years of progressively responsible senior leadership experience including successfully executing global marketing campaigns; leading successful marketing and branding strategies that drive student engagement and growth in the higher education space; working knowledge of the digital marketing landscape to employ effective strategies across search, lead generation/conversion, and prospect channels; expertise in multi-channel strategies with a focus on both business-to-business and business-to-consumer models; deep insights and experience successfully driving global brand development initiatives that position an organization as market-leader; developing teams of customer-focused marketing professionals; the gravitas and charisma to present, persuade, and influence at the senior executive level; willing and able to understand working within and remaining compliant with the state and federal regulatory environment; and a track record of being an inspiring, high-energy, team-player/coach able to quickly gain credibility and build relationships across the organization.
Preferred experience: At least 10 years of progressively responsible experience leading admissions and enrollment management teams; successful experiences leading and developing talent in a multicultural workplace; excellent verbal and written communication skills; particularly adept at problem solving and conflict resolution while balancing competing interests; a particular ease, finesse, and discernment that results from organizational and emotional intelligence; reflexive with a self-awareness to continuously improve; familiarity with higher education industry marketing and admissions processes; and a deep commitment to applying a diversity, equity, and inclusion lens to all people, processes, and initiatives.
POSITION AVAILABLE IMMEDIATELY
All submissions should include a cover letter and resume. UMGC offers competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits for qualifying positions, such as tuition remission, generous leave and healthcare. For detailed benefits information, please visit: https://careers.umgc.edu/benefits.html.