Community College Veterans Advising Specialist
Office of Veterans Initiatives
Exempt, Regular, 100% Full Time, Pay Grade 1.2
University of Maryland Global Campus seeks a Community College Veterans Advising Specialist. The advising specialist is responsible for a full range of advising services and administrative support concerning academic programs and student support services; outreach and engagement specifically focused on student veterans attending Maryland Community Colleges; and certification of VA educational benefits for student veterans. Travel to selected Community College locations is required, as are occasional evening hours supporting student engagement events such as education fairs and webinars. When not on-site meeting with students or supporting events, the incumbent will work at the UMGC Academic Center at Dorsey Station or a UMGC remote site location.
SPECIFIC RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE:
- Provide students with superior customer service as an advocate and advisor through the student’s academic cycle, from initial inquiry to graduation. Promote and provide the full range of academic and support program assistance to all students.
- Working with the Director, Veterans Initiatives, the Assistant Director, Veterans Outreach, and the Regional Director, Central Region, create, coordinate, execute and support outreach and engagement events focused on student veterans at selected Maryland Community Colleges.
- Attend local and regional events, education fairs and conferences dealing with military and veteran students.
- Provide students with detailed information, counseling and services concerning the full range of veterans’ educational benefits. As required, provide students general information concerning military tuition assistance (TA) benefits.
- Review student records, monitor and certify student enrollments for veterans’ educational benefits, while ensuring compliance with all applicable Department of Veterans Affairs regulations.
- Assist students in resolving problems with the Department of Veterans Affairs.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelors degree from an accredited institution of higher learning.
- A minimum of two (2) years’ experience working in a higher education environment, with a preference in a college veterans/military advising office, or student advising.
- Strong organizational, communication and interpersonal skills, with a focus on providing outstanding customer service and the ability to prioritize and manage multiple tasks.
PREFERRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Knowledge of UMGC processes and procedures.
- Experience working with both military students and student veterans in higher education, to include knowledge of tuition assistance (TA) benefits, veteran affairs (VA) educational benefits and degree audit.
- Experience with Peoplesoft, Salesforce, Google applications and the full range of Microsoft Office products.
POSITION AVAILABLE IMMEDIATELY & WILL REMAIN OPEN UNTIL FILLED
SALARY COMMENSURATE WITH EXPERIENCE
All submissions should include a cover letter and résumé. UMGC offers competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits for qualifying positions, such as tuition remission, generous leave and healthcare. For detailed benefits information, please visit: https://careers.umuc.edu/benefits.html.
The University of Maryland Global Campus (UMGC) is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal and state laws regarding nondiscrimination. UMGC is committed to a policy of equal opportunity for all persons and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, disability, religion, ancestry, political affiliation or veteran status in employment, educational programs and activities, and admissions.
If you are an external candidate, you will have the option to create an account after you submit your application. Passwords for external accounts must contain 8 characters including 1 uppercase letter, 1 number, and 1 special character. Please remember this password, as it will be required to apply to additional jobs.