Department Chair, Cybersecurity
Office of the Vice President & Dean, Cybersecurity & Information Technology
Exempt, Regular, Full-Time, Pay Grade 4.3
University of Maryland Global Campus (UMGC), formerly UMUC, seeks a Department Chair (Chair) to lead staff, faculty, and programs for the Cybersecurity department within the School of Cybersecurity & Information Technology. Reporting directly to the Dean, the Chair leads one of the nation’s largest cybersecurity departments and achieves department success by championing program quality, consistency, and growth, as well as faculty involvement and curriculum output. The Chair supports the Dean and the Chief Academic Officer in promoting UMGC’s mission to offer workforce-relevant, high quality programs in an open-access model, serving adult students, including military students at many military locations around the U.S. In addition, the Chair provides leadership to the School through understanding significant trends in the cybersecurity field and in adult-focused higher education, and positioning UMGC to stay in the forefront of cybersecurity education and higher education innovation.
The Department Chair is responsible for ensuring that their Program Directors work closely with UMGC overseas administrators to ensure consistency and qualify of courses and programs in alignment with the stateside and online offerings of the courses and programs, monitoring course outcomes, student success, and faculty engagement and effectiveness in teaching. The Department Chair is responsible for ensuring that Program Directors are convening at least quarterly meetings with their program’s overseas faculty and colleagues as part of a structured and routine continuous-improvement process.
This position is located in Largo, Maryland.
Specific responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Leads and manages cybersecurity programs, undergraduate and graduate, with oversight of Program Directors and Academic Program Coordinators and in collaboration with the Associate Dean and Dean
- Champions program quality, consistency and growth, faculty involvement, and curriculum currency, relevance, and output
- Ensures that faculty and staff within the department support UMGC’s standardized curriculum model and adjunct faculty teaching focus
- Manages staff and budgets within the department to support School and University objectives and goals
- Communicates with Program Directors, the Associate Dean, Dean, and the senior academic team to build transparency, thereby enhancing trust and collaboration
- In coordination with the Office of Human Resources, works to coach and performance-manage staff and faculty
- Coordinates the identification and execution of strategies for outreach to prospective and current students in the cybersecurity programs, in collaboration with Program Directors, Advising, Career Services, and other appropriate teams
- Works effectively with colleagues in Enrollment Management, Military Operations, Career Services, Human Resources, Corporate Learning Solutions, and Legal Affairs on issues critical to the growth and well-being of the School
- Teaches one course section per year in addition to their administrative duties
- Stays current on the trends and development in the cybersecurity fields and lead the effort to update or develop new courses or programs and champion workforce development partnerships
- Other job-related duties as assigned
REQUIRED EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE:
- An earned Master’s degree in cybersecurity or related fields from a regionally accredited institution of higher learning
- At least seven (7) years of experience in higher education administration including evidence of progressive increases in levels of responsibility, or other comparable professional experience (e.g. coordination or oversight of curriculum or curriculum evaluation; responsibility for training and development, etc.);
- Experience across the Cybersecurity disciplines
- Experience and high interest in energetically inspiring, leading, and developing a team of Program Directors.
PREFERRED EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE:
- An earned doctorate or other terminal degree in cybersecurity or related fields from a regionally accredited institution of higher learning
- Demonstrated experience in promoting and scaling cybersecurity programs for adult learners
- Working experience in the cybersecurity industry and ability to stay current in this evolving field
- Broad understanding and familiarity with higher education needs and the organizations that can conduct environmental scanning
- Demonstrated ability to engage institutional stakeholders in fostering and supporting new program development
- Deep understanding of current and emerging societal, economic and cultural issues affecting/influencing higher education at this time
- Deep knowledge of embedding student learning outcomes within the curriculum and tying student success initiatives to the curriculum
- Knowledge of contemporary learning science and educational research, either through education or professional experience
- Knowledge of recent work in learner analytics research and application
- The ability to establish and maintain a productive network of relationships with potential partners in higher education, industry, government, the military and the non-profit sector.
POSITION OPEN IMMEDIATELY
SALARY COMMENSURATE WITH EXPERIENCE
All submissions should include a cover letter and résumé. UMGC offers competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits for qualifying positions, such as tuition remission, generous leave and healthcare. For detailed benefits information, please visit: https://careers.umuc.edu/benefits.html.
The University of Maryland Global Campus (UMGC) is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal and state laws regarding nondiscrimination. UMGC is committed to a policy of equal opportunity for all persons and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, disability, religion, ancestry, political affiliation or veteran status in employment, educational programs and activities, and admissions.
If you are an external candidate, you will have the option to create an account after you submit your application. Passwords for external accounts must contain 8 characters including 1 uppercase letter, 1 number, and 1 special character. Please remember this password, as it will be required to apply to additional jobs.