Deputy Chief Academic Officer
- Job Ref:
- ICC - Adelphi, MD
- Collegiate Faculty
- Full time
Deputy Chief Academic Officer
Office of of the Chief Academic Officer
Exempt, Regular, Full time
University of Maryland Global Campus (UMGC) is seeking a Deputy Chief Academic Officer (DCAO). Reporting to the Senior Vice President & Chief Academic Officer (SVP-CAO), the DCAO will have a broad scope for the exercise of independent initiative and judgement while acting in the capacity of chief operating officer for Academic Affairs. The DCAO is a linchpin in the AA leadership team, ensuring exection, coordination, and communication within the department and cross-functionally within the institution. On behalf of the SVP-CAO, the DCAO cross-functionally develops and implements policies, goals, objectives, practices, and procedures in support of the mission and strategic plan of the university, with emphasis on efficiency, effectiveness, and high quality operations and support of students, faculty, and staff.
The DCAO assists the SVP-CAO in accomplishing the goals for the institution's academic mission and oversees the general operations of the Office of the Chief Academic Officer and academic affairs. The DCAO is focused on defining, implementing and advancing key academic initiatives, to include strategic planning, fiscal stewardship, operational excellence, and other institutional priorities. The DCAO works closely with institutional and academic leadership in facilitating and implementing academic planning, policies, evaluation, and budgeting. The DCAO is a champion and exemplar of collaboration, communication, transparency, and change management internal to Academic Affairs as well as to the rest of the university community.
This role is an exciting opportunity to serve as a senior leader within a diverse and dynamic team committed to transformational change at the largest public, online, four-year university in the United States. The DCAO will play a leading role in the ongoing transformation of UMGC's academic enterprise, positioning the institution for strategic growth and advancing the university's reputation as a student-centric and innovative institution. A systems thinker with facility cultivating and maintaining relationships in a virtually and globally distributed environment, the Deputy CAO combines strategic and operational leadership to parter with the SVP-CAO and other senior leaders to assess, evaluate, and improve academic affairs and promote excellence, innovation, and collaboration.
The ideal candidate will have breadth of experience in higher education as well as the public or private sector, and thus contribute a complementary, inquisitive, and creative perspective to the academic team. Evidence of commitment to diversity and inclusion, integrity, accountability, professionalism, and continuous improvement are paramount.
The DCAO will have approximately five (5) direct reports representing academic administration, academic integrity and accountability, academic planning and partnerships, and faculty affairs.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Collaborates with the SVP-CAO to support the articulation of the Academic Affairs vision, setting high standards, and effectively guiding the division of Academic Affairs in the implementation and realization of those expectations
- Supports the SVP-CAO in executing and managing operational tasks and processes
- Communicates to internal and external constituents in timely, transparent and collegial fashion to ensure appropriate stakeholders are informed, consulted, and engaged appropriately
- Convenes internal University stakeholders for discussion of matters concerning the improvement of operations and outcomes, cultivates and fosters necessary supportive relationships, and collaborates on the development, implementation, and assessment of initiatives
- Provides strategic direction, leadership, and supervision to a high-functioning team of administrators whose functional areas underpin the academic structure; provides coaching and mentoring, and facilitates removal of barriers to achieving goals and objectives
- Supports relationships between the Academic Advisory Board and university academic administration, and between the Adjunct Faculty Association and university academic administration
- Models and fosters positive and productive relationships among the Academic Affairs division and other units within the University as well as with relevant external constituencies, including the USM
- Collaborates with the SVP-CAO, Academic Affairs leadership team, and other university leadership to determine budgetary priorities, align resources (including human, financial, infrastructure, and IT) to advance academic and institutional priorities, and lead integrated resource planning to optimize impacts of resource allocation
- Exercises data-informed decision-making and leads with emotional intelligence and empathy
- Other job-related duties as assigned
Required education & experience: An earned Master's degree from an accredited institution of higher learning; at least seven (7) years of progressive leadership and management experience within a complex higher education organization; at least three (3) years of professional experience outside institutions of higher education; strong verbal and written communication skills; experience with the operational and financial management of a complex organization; and success with strategic planning, policy development, budgeting, and personnel administration, preferably in a higher education setting.
Preferred education & experience: An earned doctorate from an accredited institution of higher learning; professional experience in project management; an astute and experienced administrator with a demonstrated expertise in the complexities of higher education that impact all aspects of academic operations, a demonstrated record of sustainable and successful change management, and the ability to bridge strategy and tactics by seeing the big picture while simultaneously understanding all the steps and stakeholders involved in order to achieve it; the ability manage multiple projects simultaneously and work successfully with diverse teams in a multicultural environment.
POSITION AVAILABLE IMMEDIATELY
APPLICATIONS REVIEWED ON A ROLLING BASIS UNTIL FILLED
All submissions should include a cover letter and resume. UMGC offers competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits for qualifying positions, such as tuition remission, generous leave and healthcare. For detailed benefits information, please visit: https://careers.umgc.edu/benefits.html.