Digital Media II, Department of Arts & Humanities - Adjunct Faculty
- Job Ref:
- Adjunct Faculty
- Part time
Digital Media II
Art & Graphic Communications
Department of Arts & Humanities
University of Maryland Global Campus (UMGC) seeks adjunct faculty to teach in the Art & Graphic Communications program. Specifically, we are seeking faculty for the following course:
Digital Media II (GRCO355): Further examination of design for interactive media that incorporate raster- and vector-based visuals, video files, and brand generation. The goal is to use current technologies to develop functional static and responsive multimedia layouts for a range of platforms, including desktop, hand-held, and mobile devices. Discussion covers strategies for developing work for a variety of output applications. Focus is on production of portfolio-caliber projects that simulate real-world work experience.
Required Education and Experience:
- Master's degree in Graphic Design, Art, or related field from an accredited institution of higher learning.
- Interested faculty MUST have prior experience with the Adobe Creative Suite and possess the software.
- Professional experience in art and graphic design
- This position is specific to teach online.
Preferred Education and Experience:
- Terminal degree from a regionally accredited institution.
- Experience teaching adult learners and distance education is highly preferred.
Materials needed for submission
- Resume/Curriculum Vitae
- Cover letter
- If selected, candidates with international degrees may be required to submit translation/degree evaluation from a NACES approved Vendor.
Who We Are and Who We Serve
UMGC—one of 12 degree-granting institutions in the University System of Maryland (USM)—is a mission-driven institution with seven core values that guide us in all we do. At the top of the list is "Students First,” and we strive to do just that for our 90,000 students at home and abroad. From its start in 1947, UMGC has demonstrated its commitment to adult learners. We recognize that adult students need flexibility and options. UMGC is proud to be a global, 24-hour, institution of higher learning.
The typical UMGC student is an adult learner juggling a career, family, and other priorities. Roughly 80% work full time, half are parents, and half are minority students. They are continuing their education to better themselves, their families, and their professional opportunities. UMGC is also a leading higher education provider to the U.S. military, enrolling 55,000 active-duty service members, reservists, National Guard members, veterans, and family members annually. We are proud of our military heritage and are committed to this service.
The Adjunct Faculty Role at UMGC
UMUC is committed to helping students achieve success not only with us, but also in their professional fields. As a result, we actively seek faculty members who are scholar-practitioners: professionals who are actively and successfully engaged in their field who additionally wish to help the next generation of professionals grow in their knowledge and expertise through education. Your role as an adjunct faculty member will be to:
- Actively engage students through frequent interaction that motivates them to succeed, and conveys a genuine energy and enthusiasm for their learning.
- Guide students in active collaboration and the application of their learning in problem- and project-based learning demonstrations.
- Provide rich and regular constructive feedback, utilizing rubrics effectively for the assessment of student work, and acknowledging student accomplishments.
- Demonstrate relevant and current subject-matter expertise, and help students connect concepts across their academic program.
- Provide feedback to your program chair on possible curricular improvements.
Art & Graphic Communications at UMGC
Please visit the following link to learn more about this program, including its description, outcomes, and coursework: https://www.umgc.edu/academic-programs/bachelors-degrees/graphic-communication-major.cfm
Faculty Training at UMUC
We are committed to your professional success at UMGC. Each new faculty member is required to successfully complete our online two-week new faculty orientation, FacDev 411, as a condition of hire.
Position Available and will Remain Open until Filled
Salary Commensurate with Experience
Adjunct faculty candidates will be required to provide official transcripts during the candidate selection process.
All submissions should include a cover letter and résumé. UMGC offers competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits for qualifying positions, such as tuition remission, generous leave and healthcare. For detailed benefits information, please visit: https://careers.umuc.edu/benefits.html.