Director, Marketing Optimization
Office of Marketing
Exempt, Regular, 100% Full-Time, Pay Grade 4.1
University of Maryland Global Campus (UMGC) seeks a Director, Marketing Optimization, reporting to the Associate Vice President of Marketing Optimization. University of Maryland Global Campus is one of the biggest advertisers in the DMV area and one of the largest universities in the country with over 90,000 students. We are currently looking for someone with analytical aptitude and leadership skills to help improve our advertising efforts to attract new students. This is a great opportunity to analyze advertising across multiple mediums and geographies, working with a large budget and partnering with some of the strongest advertising agencies in the country. The role is a part of a small-sized, but large-impact team and will help make important optimization decisions from day one.
The Director of Marketing Optimization is a key role in the Marketing organization, reporting to the Associate Vice President of Marketing Optimization. This person is responsible for leadership in advertising media optimization (ensuring we are spending on the best performing ads), inquiry conversion optimization (monitoring conversion of prospects into students) and web site performance (ensuring we are attracting the best visitors, and engaging them once on site). This is accomplished via tracking the data through our Datawarehouse, Salesforce, Google 360 and other tools.
Success in this role will be measured by reduced cost-per-acquisition metrics, improved conversion rates, better web site performance and much deeper understanding about the relative strengths of the different parts of our advertising mix and the different steps in the conversion funnel.
This person will work with a variety of groups to achieve his/her goals, including Marketing (internal team and external agencies), Business Intelligence, Salesforce, Call Center, Enrollment and Web Development teams. This is a very interactive role, requiring daily partnering with each of these groups to fully understand, properly audit, gain buy-in, build and monitor success. The right candidate will proactively identify new opportunities, deliver insights confidently, lead initiatives comfortably and mentor his/her team capably.
SPECIFIC RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE:
- Regularly audit and analyze our advertising media mix to uncover opportunities that may lead to further improvement. Deep dive in channels like paid search, display, paid social, tv, radio, print and out-of-home advertisements. This will largely be a mathematical exercise utilizing tools like Tableau, Salesforce, Google Analytics and Excel
- Monitor and optimize the progress of all leads though the marketing funnel. This will involve understanding the lead flow process in Salesforce, and partnering with the Marketing, Business Intelligence, Salesforce, Call Center and Enrollment teams to develop actionable insights
- Actively mentor and manage two team members, helping them develop and grow in their roles
- Help bring insights to life and tell a compelling story
- Participate in brainstorming and testing of new campaign ideas or conversion improvement projects
- Help to better understand the full impact of our advertising by seeking out and engaging with analytics vendors regarding novel techniques for analysis and modeling
- Oversee the development and monitoring of web site KPIs to ensure continuous improvement in user experience, engagement and conversion. Partner with the Web Development team to accomplish this
- Aid in further development of our Datawarehouse and reporting tools so we can continue to evolve our sophistication and performance. Continue to evolve our selection of KPIs
- Develop and maintain strong relationships with key external partners and groups within the university. These relationships will be critical in achieving success in this role, as heavy collaboration will be necessary to execute on media and conversion findings
- Maintain up-to-date expert knowledge of advertising, conversion, web analytics, SEO and analytics trends and best practices
- Lead efforts in brainstorming and testing of new marketing campaign ideas or conversion improvement projects
- Make recommendations and present findings to senior leadership
- Perform other job-related duties as assigned
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s degree in a quantitative discipline (engineering, economics, finance, mathematics, statistics, science, etc.) from an accredited institution of higher learning
- Will have 8-12 years of total experience deriving insights for large organizations
- At least (3) years of experience working with a CRM (preferably Salesforce), specifying new fields, building reports and forms, auditing lead flow and executing nurture campaigns
- At least (2) years working with a large data warehouse, performing big data analysis
- At least (5) years of experience developing reports to highlight strengths and weaknesses of campaigns/initiatives.
- Advanced proficiency with Excel and Tableau
- At least (2) years working knowledge of Google Analytics, Google Tag Manager, web site optimization and SEO
- Strong analytical skills and an ability to identify actionable insights
- Mature manager and mentor of others, offering good coaching and guidance
- Experience and comfort leading initiatives and driving success
- A natural problem solver who is curious and ambitious
- Someone entrepreneurial and comfortable challenging the status quo
- A detail-oriented person who is excited to roll up his/her sleeves to get the job done
- Strong communication skills and the ability to articulate findings to executives Comfort building PowerPoint presentations summarizing insights
- Collaborative worker and strong team player
- A strong solutions and results orientation
- Embraces and appreciates the mission of higher education for working adults
PREFERRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Knowledge of SQL
- Some experience with R and/or Python, Comfort with Google Analytics 360, Experience managing a team
- Experience in the education industry
- Experience with advertising analysis
- Experience in B2B or 2-step marketing
- Some background in statistics
- Master’s Degree in Data Analytics, Statistics, Economics or an MBA
POSITION AVAILABLE IMMEDIATELY & WILL REMAIN OPEN UNTIL FILLED
SALARY COMMENSURATE WITH EXPERIENCE
All submissions should include a cover letter and résumé. UMGC offers competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits for qualifying positions, such as tuition remission, generous leave and healthcare. For detailed benefits information, please visit: https://careers.umuc.edu/benefits.html.
The University of Maryland Global Campus (UMGC) is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal and state laws regarding nondiscrimination. UMGC is committed to a policy of equal opportunity for all persons and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, disability, religion, ancestry, political affiliation or veteran status in employment, educational programs and activities, and admissions.
If you are an external candidate, you will have the option to create an account after you submit your application. Passwords for external accounts must contain 8 characters including 1 uppercase letter, 1 number, and 1 special character. Please remember this password, as it will be required to apply to additional jobs.