Elements of Nutrition, Department of Sciences - Adjunct Faculty
- Job Ref:
- Killeen, TX
- Adjunct Faculty
- Part time
Elements of Nutrition
Locations: San Diego, CA or Killeen, TX
University of Maryland Global Campus (UMGC) seeks adjunct faculty to teach, on site in San Diego, CA or Killeen, TX in the Science program. Specifically, we are seeking faculty for the following course:
Elements of Nutrition (NUTR 100): A study of the scientific and quantitative foundations of the applied science of human nutrition. The goal is to understand how nutrition reflects an integration across scientific disciplines and how foods provide important nutrients that provide substance and energy for healthy living.
Required Education and Experience
- Master's degree in Nutrition, Health Management or related field from an accredited institution of higher learning.
- 3 to 5 years professional experience in Nutrition or related field preferred
- Experience teaching adult learners online and in higher education preferred
- This position is specifically to teach in San Diego, CA or Killeen, TX
Materials needed for submission
- Resume/ Curriculum Vitae
- Cover letter highly preferred
- If selected, candidates with international degrees may be required to submit a translation/degree evaluation from a NACES approved vendor.
Who We Are and Who We Serve
UMGC—one of 12 degree-granting institutions in the University System of Maryland (USM)—is a mission-driven institution with seven core values that guide us in all we do. At the top of the list is "Students First,” and we strive to do just that for our 90,000 students at home and abroad. From its start in 1947, UMGC has demonstrated its commitment to adult learners. We recognize that adult students need flexibility and options. UMGC is proud to be a global, 24-hour, institution of higher learning.
The typical UMGC student is an adult learner juggling a career, family, and other priorities. Roughly 80% work full time, half are parents, and half are minority students. They are continuing their education to better themselves, their families, and their professional opportunities. UMGC is also a leading higher education provider to the U.S. military, enrolling 55,000 active-duty service members, reservists, National Guard members, veterans, and family members annually. We are proud of our military heritage and are committed to this service.
The Adjunct Faculty Role at UMGC
UMGC is committed to helping students achieve success not only with us, but also in their professional fields. As a result, we actively seek faculty members who are scholar-practitioners: professionals who are actively and successfully engaged in their field who additionally wish to help the next generation of professionals grow in their knowledge and expertise through education. Your role as an adjunct faculty member will be to:
- Actively engage students through frequent interaction that motivates them to succeed, and conveys a genuine energy and enthusiasm for their learning.
- Guide students in active collaboration and the application of their learning in problem- and project-based learning demonstrations.
- Provide rich and regular constructive feedback, utilizing rubrics effectively for the assessment of student work, and acknowledging student accomplishments.
- Demonstrate relevant and current subject-matter expertise, and help students connect concepts across their academic program.
- Provide feedback to your program chair on possible curricular improvements.
The Science program at UMGC
Please visit the following link to learn more about this program, including its description, outcomes, and coursework: https://www.umuc.edu/academic-programs/bachelors-degrees/environmental-management-major.cfm
Faculty Training at UMGC
We are committed to your professional success at UMGC. Each new faculty member is required to successfully complete our online two-week new faculty orientation, FacDev 411, as a condition of hire.
Position Available and will Remain Open until Filled
Salary Commensurate with Experience
Adjunct faculty candidates will be required to provide official transcripts during the candidate selection process.
All submissions should include a cover letter and resume. UMGC offers competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits for qualifying positions, such as tuition remission, generous leave and healthcare. For detailed benefits information, please visit: https://careers.umgc.edu/benefits.html.