Financial Aid Counselor
- Job Ref:
- Largo, MD
- Financial Aid
- Full time
Financial Aid Counselor
Office of Financial Aid
Exempt, Regular, 100%-Time, Pay Grade 1.2
University of Maryland Global Campus (UMGC) seeks a Financial Aid Counselor in the Office of Financial Aid. Reporting to the Assistant Director, Financial Aid Counseling, the Financial Aid Counselor will evaluate financial aid applicants and determine eligibility in accordance with federal, state and institutional regulations. Requires the ability to perform multiple tasks utilizing proven problem-solving skills and knowledge of financial aid policies and procedures, with the highest level of customer service.The counselor will provide financial aid counseling to prospective, new and returning students regarding financial aid availability, application process, eligibility, academic progress, degree requirements, deadlines, processing dates, and procedures. The successful candidates are expected to work well within a collaborative team environment as well as under their own initiative with limited supervision and high accountability.
Must be able to meet and maintain access requirements for secure federal and/or state websites, such as the National Student Loan Data System (NSLDS). Individuals cannot currently be in default on a student loan.
SPECIFIC RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE:
- Responsible for complete and accurate FAFSA reviews to resolve various types of verification's required by the Department of Education. Review federal income tax returns, resolve student information discrepancies,and review financial aid documents for accuracy, completeness and compliance with federal, state and institutional laws, regulations and policies.
- Develop and maintain current knowledge of Federal Title IV regulations, state laws and institutional policies pertaining to financial aid.
- Evaluate unusual/mitigating circumstance documentation or information provided by the student; exercise judgment by making adjustment or revisions to costs, need or dependency status based on established policies or guidelines. Serve as a rotating member of the Satisfactory Academic Progress and Professional judgment Committees.
- Analyze various system-generated reports to verify compliance and eligibility of students receiving aid under federal and institutional guidelines; notify students of changes in eligibility of awards and support students towards best possible outcomes. Create reports, merge and evaluate complex data from multiple sources, change award amounts, maintain statistical data and generate communications to students.
- Maintain and review student award packages for compliance and prevention of overawards. Revises student financial aid packages as needed when additional aid awards are posted.
- Participate in training and professional development activities and perform other job-related duties as assigned.
- Other duties as assigned.
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor's degree required from an accredited institution of higher learning and a minimum of one (1) year of professional experience in higher education, accounting, business or customer service.
- Ability to work with detailed, factual information from a variety of sources.
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills.
- Demonstrated experience with computerized office systems including, but no limited to, Microsoft Office applications such as Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize and manage multiple administrative tasks with minimal oversight.
- Demonstrated experience providing customer service in a timely and proficient manner.
PREFERRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Prior financial aid experience preferred and functional experience with PeopleSoft and/or SalesForce desired.
- Employees are required to work university commencement
- Employees may be required to work evening, weekend and holiday hours based on business need
- Employees are required to work all or part of the university holiday break and other observed Federal and university holidays.
POSITION AVAILABLE IMMEDIATELY & WILL REMAIN OPEN UNTIL FILLED
All submissions should include a cover letter and resume. UMGC offers competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits for qualifying positions, such as tuition remission, generous leave and healthcare. For detailed benefits information, please visit: https://careers.umgc.edu/benefits.html.