- Job Ref:
- Largo, MD
- Learning Solutions
- Full time
Department of Course Development
Exempt, Regular, Full Time, Pay Grade 2.1
Location: Largo, MD preferred. Remote workers considered.
University of Maryland Global Campus (UMGC) seeks a Learning Designer. Reporting to the Learning Design Manager, the Learning Designer applies knowledge of best practices in pedagogy and learning design in the development and evaluation of online instructional materials for the schools and other UMGC divisions, and extra-university agencies as needed. The Learning Designer collaborates with Program Directors, Faculty, and Subject Matter Experts (SMEs) to create and revise courses and materials that demonstrate sound instruction, produce desired learning outcomes, and develop targeted competencies. The Learning Designer has experience leading and managing learning design projects using the principles of project management.
Additionally, the Learning Designer will collaborate with the broader learning design team, taking design initiative on all aspects of course development, and recommending solutions to design and project management challenges. Finally, the Learning Designer will have a demonstrated ability to work independently and self-manage their design work load.
SPECIFIC RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE:
- All aspects of the learning design process: assessing curriculum needs, analyzing learner background knowledge and instructional requirements, determining learning objectives and outcomes, and designing and developing instructional experiences that most effectively target learning outcomes.
- Project management that includes, but is not limited to, project planning; managing project workflow; facilitating project team meetings; managing SME expectations, relationships, and deliverables; communicating risks and status; and managing project delivery and evaluation.
- Developing learning solutions by applying progressive and evidence-based instructional practices.
- Collaboration, creativity, flexibility, timeliness, professionalism, with a strong commitment to quality.
- Incorporating various learning technologies and digital tools in order to enhance instructional effectiveness and support successful student outcomes.
- Developing instructional content, learning strategies, and assessments that align with goals and objectives.
- Leading and facilitating clear and professional communication with internal and external team members in a variety of contexts, including email discussions, conference calls, and face-to-face and online presentations.
- Working independently and collaboratively on all aspects of the course design and development process.
- Refining and redesigning existing curriculum based on assessment data.
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelors Degree from an accredited institution of higher learning.
- Will have 1- 3 years of related experience.
- Direct experience with project management of learning design projects, instructional design experience in higher education, experience developing courses and materials for progressive educational paradigms.
- Knowledge of instructional design, learning theories and learning technologies.
- Familiarity with current trends and developments in learning design and higher education including open educational resources, competency-based learning, adaptive learning and personalized learning.
PREFERRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Masters or other post-graduate education in Learning Design, Learning Experience Design, Instructional Technology.
POSITION AVAILABLE IMMEDIATELY & WILL REMAIN OPEN UNTIL FILLED
SALARY COMMENSURATE WITH EXPERIENCE
All submissions should include a cover letter and resume. UMGC offers competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits for qualifying positions, such as tuition remission, generous leave and healthcare. For detailed benefits information, please visit: https://careers.umgc.edu/benefits.html.