University Records Manager
- Job Ref:
- ICC - Adelphi, MD
- IT and Project Management
- Full time
University Records Manager
Office of Legal Affairs
Exempt, Regular, Full Time, Pay Grade 3.1
University of Maryland Global Campus (UMGC) is seeking a University Records Manager. Reporting to the Associate Vice President, Institutional Compliance and Risk, the University Records Manager proactively develops and supports a culture of high-quality records management practice across the University of Maryland Global Campus. The University Records Manager will serve as the University's subject matter expert on records management rules and best practices and provide leadership, direction, planning, supervision and overall management of the Records Management Program for the University that aligns with the University's strategic and operational business objectives, applicable USM Records Management policies and standards, the University Records Retention policy and applicable regulatory compliance requirements (including GDPR).
SPECIFIC RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE:
- Lead the development, implementation, and maintenance of a high-quality Records Management Program and strategy that aligns with the University's strategic and operational business objectives, applicable USM Records Management policies and standards, the University Records Retention policy and applicable regulatory compliance requirements (including GDPR).
- Provide guidance on regulatory requirements and records management best practices, develop and deliver training to University Stakeholders and administer technology-based solutions and tools to support the University's implementation of the Records Management Program.
- Lead the University's response to public information requests to ensure that these are dealt with efficiently and effectively in line with regulatory requirements and best practice guidelines.
- Proactively monitor international (particularly EU and Asia), federal and state legislative, policy and best practice developments and trends which may impact the University and initiate strategies and process improvements to respond to them.
- Act as a Subject Matter Expert for the University's Information Governance team regarding issues of policy and practice related to Records Management.
- Lead the effective and efficient implementation and revision of the University Records Retention Schedule, by collaborating with information technology and other units regarding the application of the Records Management Policy and Records Retention Schedule to electronic data, databases, physical records and scanned documents and providing guidance to Business Units on how to apply the Schedule to meet business requirements.
- Build collaborative relationships with Stakeholders and with University leadership to help define and drive Records Management strategic objectives and enable stakeholder groups to come together and adapt effectively to changes in Records Management policy and practice.
- Proactively communicate Records Management Program strategy, services and general program awareness.
- Keep abreast of state and federal laws and regulations regarding the protection of records in a state agency's custody. Communicate with oversight state agencies when applicable.
- Participate in the management and operation of on-site and off-site physical records storage to comply with records retention policies as needed.
- Develop and implement metrics to measure the success of the Records Management Program and identify process improvement opportunities and best practices for a compliant records management program.
- Other duties as assigned.
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited institution of higher learning.
- Five or more years of experience working with records in a complex data environment.
- Knowledge of Records Management theories and principles.
- Ability to think strategically and innovatively, including a demonstrable capacity to proactively identify and respond to relevant issues of both long-term and immediate importance to the University.
- Capacity to formulate and offer clear and practical advice on complex legal and policy issues.
- Ability to quickly acquire knowledge and understanding of academic structures, processes and issues, and their implications for University records management.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including the ability to develop effective relationships with staff/external stakeholders, and a customer focused approach to service delivery.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, and IT literacy, and the ability to work under pressure and tight deadlines.
PREFERRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Master's Degree.
- Previous State agency or University experience.
- Change Management experience.
- IGP (Information Governance Professional) Certification.
- CRM (Certified Records Manager) Certification.
- CIP (Certified Information Manager) Certification.
POSITION AVAILABLE IMMEDIATELY & WILL REMAIN OPEN UNTIL FILLED
SALARY COMMENSURATE WITH EXPERIENCE
All submissions should include a cover letter and résumé. UMGC offers competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits for qualifying positions, such as tuition remission, generous leave and healthcare. For detailed benefits information, please visit: https://careers.umuc.edu/benefits.html.